Sunday, January 25, 2009

Movie Marathon

In honor of my French classes I've decided to start watching some French films ( maybe they'll help me with my pronunciation!). Anyways I started today and the first one on my list was Persepolis. It was made in 2007, and won a couple awards. It was really interesting. Persepolis is an animated film. It's actually an adaptation of Marjane Satrapi's graphic novel Persepolis. The story is autobiographical and follows Marjane's life growing up in Iran and Europe. It was completely fascinating. It discusses politics (of course!) but it also gives you a unique view of Marjane's personal journey. Through Marjane's eyes we see that Bruce Lee is her hero, Abba is for Wimps!, the Vienna underground is not the ideal place to try and find yourself, and guys are the same no matter what country you're in. I loved Marjane as a little girl in Adidas shoes proclaiming herself a future prophet and I also loved her as a serious young women protesting her university's double standard for women. Even though the film takes place in Iran and Vienna it is all in French, except for the memorable sequence where Marjane decides to call herself to action by singing Eye of the Tiger. Plus Marjane helped animate the whole thing herself (The film is a collaboration between her and Vincent Paronnaud). It's definitely something to try if you don't mind subtitles.

1 comment:

  1. You have a blog! I am so excited! P.S. I am way excited for your visit! Jason might come up too!

    ReplyDelete