Thursday, February 18, 2010

Fragmentation of the Human Soul

Ok so every year BYU has a hunger banquet. The banquet raises money for community and international developmental causes. I've never been before but from what I understand everyone pays the same amount to get in, but when you get there you are divided into different "social classes" and get different meals depending on what class you are in.

Anyways this year they are having a creative competition to help raise awareness for the cause. You can submit videos, artwork, essays... anything creative. They display them to help advertise the event and then they select a few to display at the actual banquet. I decided to submit a collage. It's not much, but I thought it would be fun to participate. The theme for the competition is celebrating human dignity. My mom told me this quote which ended up being my inspiration for the collage:

“Most of us feel for the suffering child but can’t see the child in the adult who, soul fragmented and isolated, hustles for survival a few blocks away.” - Gabor Mate

I really like this idea of the fragmented soul. I think it's very easy to see one piece of someone or one side, and forget that there is more to them.

My collage:



Close ups:







Currently: Thankful for discount valentine candy, lol

3 comments:

  1. I love it! I especially love the quote that inspired it all. Are you still good for the 2nd of march? We're excited to see you!

    ReplyDelete