Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My! People come and go so quickly here!

My photo assignment for this last week.

Sometimes I wake up and for a moment I’m home. I am Dorothy opening her eyes to find she’s left the strange and wonderful world of Technicolor. The stop and go of the metro was really four lane freeways and traffic jams, the noise of late night traffic drifting in from my apartment window becomes the steady hum of Texas air conditioning in late October, and the river Seine transforms into a stretch of muddy bayou. Then my eyes adjust to the dim morning light; the moment passes and I remember where I really am. But despite any coincidental eerie similarity, often I just can’t shake how utterly different and out of the ordinary it all feels. A tiny corner of my mind rebels and wants to go back to the familiar, everyday land of black and white, where I know Auntie Em and the rest of the gang will be waiting. But just as that little thought creeps into my head, something happens.



I see that trees are still trees, whether they line garden paths or suburban streets,



And sunlight is still sunlight, whether it reflects off a countryside stream or the backyard kiddie pool,



And rain is still rain, whether it comes in handfuls or buckets,




And leaves are still leaves, whether they pile up on scenic hillsides or cement driveways,



And sky is still sky, wherever I am standing.

Eventually I remember that I can always find my way back home… no ruby slippers required.

Well that's it. The theme was a combination of nature and nostalgia. The nature photo thing was hard for me, but I did the best I could. For some reason this week I also had a hard time pairing the photo with text. I think I occasionally get obsessed with one part of the project and need to consider the whole more. Anyways it was fun to try something different with the essay this week. Hopefully I'll find something really amazing for this week's theme: Architecture.

Currently: Excited for my weekend get away!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I love it Mimi. I'm not sure if the emotion expressed was what you wanted, but I sure felt something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, that was perfect. That was exactly how I felt. You took me back to my exchange. I'm so glad someone could say it right!

    You are lovely--I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete