Saturday, January 15, 2011

Back to School

I'm back at BYU. For my last semester no less. It's weird to think this could be my very last first day of school! So far the semester has been going pretty well. My classes are going to be a lot of work, but they seem interesting.

I'm taking Shakespeare, Adolescent lit. writing class (this is the same class I took last semester, but with a different teacher), British literature during the enlightenment, Art History (Part Two), and the senior course. The senior course subject varies by teacher and semester. This year I got a great professor who I've had before, and the subject is American Mystery Novels in the 30s and 40s. It's been really fun. I've already read one novel, The Maltese Falcon. We are also watching the movie in class.

So in honor of school starting up again I thought I'd compile five of the most memorable back to school movie scenes:

1. Never Been Kissed.

It's hard to be popular. Especially when your coworker tells you to wear a white feather boa outfit and you spill chocolate milk on yourself. Poor Josie.

Josie: That'll teach me to wear white jeans after labor day.
Popular Girl: I don't think you're supposed to wear white jeans after 1983.


2. Full House. Ok so technically this is not a movie. It's a sitcom.

But I can't help remembering DJs first day of high school. It was pretty awful. She wore the same outfit as the teacher and had to eat her lunch in a telephone booth. Alone. But because this is a sitcom, this horribleness lasts for one, two days max. Then DJ adjusts to the new school, and gets over all her awkwardness.

Update: I found a synopsis of this episode online. And it was the first day of seventh grade, not high school.

3. Nemo!!! I wasn't quite as excited as Nemo for the first day back, but I do love starting a new semester. It's always fun to go to all your new classes. Here's the clip of Nemo getting ready for his first day of school.

4. Mean Girls

So I love the first day scene in this movie, it does the whole introducing the high school cliques thing well (kind of reminds me of the first scene in Ten Things I Hate About You as well). I also love all the first day scenes with Cady and her parents. I threw in one of their conversations below.

Parents: Hey. How was your second day?
Cady: Fine.
Parents: Were people nice?
Cady: No.
Parents: Did you make any friends?
Cady: Yeah.

5. Footloose:

Ren has this conversation with his mom:

Mom: You about ready to go?
Mom: You gonna wear that tie?
Ren: Yeah.
Mom: I think you might want to dress down for now.
Ren: Why? I like the tie.
Mom: September, when you go to college, you can dress like David Bowie.

But you know what? He does wear that tie and he becomes one of the best things to happen to that town! Thus Kevin Bacon has taught us an important lesson: Be yourself, the rest will happen. Also, challenge any anti-dancing laws that get in your way.

Honorable Mention Back to School Movie Moments: School of Rock, Harry Potter ('Cause who wouldn't want to go to Hogwarts? lol), Sky High (mostly I just remember that their school bus is like a roller coaster ride), plus all those inspirational education type movies


Currently: adoring Ingrid Michaelson and obsessing over my kindle
Currently Reading: Red Harvest

No comments:

Post a Comment