Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Four Weddings and a Cupcake

So you may have noticed that lately I've been on a blog vacation. Well for the new year hopefully I'll keep up with my blogging goals and have no more of those! lol

I had a lovely winter break in which I spent time with my family, attended a few wedding receptions, caught up with friends, practiced my cake decorating skills, and actually found time to relax :)

Thanks to my good friend Kimberly (who also has a blog yay!) I got to try a few fun baking and decorating things this break! I had never made cake balls before so Kimberly helped me make some. We used chocolate cake and a coconut icing so they tasted like german chocolate cake. Yum. We also made these cool chocolate chip cookie dough balls. They taste like cookie dough, but they don't have any eggs in them. You dip them in melted chocolate just like a cake ball.

She also gave me some fondant to experiment with. It was really fun to try this out, especially since I was also watching Cake Boss during the break with my mom. I forgot to take a picture but I ended up making a cute little mini cake and using the fondant to cover it. I meant to do more complex decorating, but then I got hungry and cute myself a slice. Oops.


This is Kimberly's adorable daughter, Leslie, at our friend Karen's wedding reception (thanks to my sister who remembered to take pictures over the break!).

Sadly not all my baking experiments went well. Earlier in the break I decided to make cupcakes. I made a big batch on night with no problems and told my family not to eat any because I wanted to decorate them. The next morning I went to the kitchen and found that almost all of my cupcakes were gone! There were only 5 or 6 left.

I immediately asked "Who ate my cupcakes?!" Everyone denied eating them and then all of sudden we all turned and looked at our dog, Bella, who looked especially happy. I realized that the night before I forgot to put plastic wrap on the cupcakes so it would have been easy for her to get them off the counter. Later that day my Mom found a cupcake wedged in between some of the couch cushions. I guess Bella was saving that one for later. Ha ha oh well! At least I still had a few to practice decorating with.


The cupcake thief!


Currently reading: The Maltese Falcon, Dashiell Hammett (I'm taking a detective noir fiction course this semester)

Currently Obsessed with: My Polaroid camera. I'm out of film right now, which is probably for the best, because I just want to take pictures of everything. Also I'm completely obsessed with pomegranates right now! love those.

No comments:

Post a Comment