Monday, February 21, 2011

Provo in the Wintertime

As many of you may know I'm not always the biggest fan of winter. I may at times complain about things like snow or extreme cold. However I figure I complain about winter a lot so today I'm going to not complain. In fact I'm going to list my favorite things about a Provo winter.

1. Hot Chocolate and Steamed Milk

Yum. Who doesn't love hot chocolate? I have a little hot chocolate maker (you can make a lot at once and it will make it all frothy) and when I'm not in the mood for that I just drive down the street to the 7 Eleven for a steamed milk. I even have one of their reusable cups that I tote back and forth (yes I'm addicted, plus the refills are cheaper that way).


I love my travel mugs. I also love getting my hot chocolate fix at the 7-eleven because you can add shots of different flavors (caramel, vanilla, hazelnut).


Ah, the infamous Guilty Only of Loving You mug. Only special guests are allowed to use this mug. The handle, in case you didn't notice, is a handcuff.

2. Quality Snuggle time with your favorite books and movies

Ok, so I watch movies all year long, but on really cold days it's nice to cuddle up on your couch and watch a film. I just saw Toy Story 3 this week. I know, I took forever to see it! But it was worth the wait. And isn't it amazing how a good book can make you forget how dreary it is outside? The last book I read was Book Thief.


This is the corner of a blanket I made to keep warm in book/movie situations :) It's a fleece blanket. In case you've never made one here are the steps. Lay two squares of fleece on top of each other. Cut strips along the side (leave some room at the corners). Tie strips together. Done.

3. Soup

Warm soup never tastes better than it does in winter. It's even better when you add grilled cheese to the mix.


Potato Cheddar and Grilled Cheese


A tortilla soup


Lemon Chicken
4. Scarves and Boots

I love scarves. Seriously the scarf is one of my favorite accessories. I can never have too many scarves. I pull out my lighter ones on nice days and the cozier ones on windy days. And if things get really bleak I can always rely on monster scarf (the biggest, warmest scarf I own. Easily shared. Has it's own hood.). Ha ha. Oh and nothing makes me happier than putting on a pair of great boots. I wonder if that obsession comes from years of Texas weather where most of the time flip flops will suffice?


So this is a pic from my webcam when Gab and I went to Vegas. The scarf I'm wearing is actually hers but we both love it so much that she shares it. Isn't she a nice sis?

5. Surprise Sunshine

Absence really does make the heart grow fonder. I don't think I truly appreciate sunny, or warm weather until after I've had some cold winter days (not that I'm trying to encourage more snow or anything).


Currently eating: Belgium Waffles (post to come)

1 comment: