Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscars 2009: The Good, The Bad, and the Boring

I watched the Academy Awards last night in all its fabulousness !! Then I went to french class today and I ended up talking about the Oscar dresses instead of studying for my quiz, so... here are my picks for best and worst :) I will write something about the actual awards later, I just thought it would be fun to start with the fashion.

Ok so usually I like bold colors, but this year there was a bunch of dresses on the lighter end of the spectrum that really caught my attention.



Tarji P. Henson, Penelope Cruz, Evan Rachel Wood, Tina Fey, and Nicole Kidman. I wanted to include Anne Hathaway's dress too but I couldn't find a good picture from some reason. My favorite dress is Tarji's. I love the train. Although a close second is Tina Fey's. She was a great presenter too. Her and Steve Martin did so well.




Amy Adams, Natalie Portman, Freida Pinto, and Alicia Keys. I seriously fell in love with Natalie Portman's dress the second I saw it. And I normally do not like asymmetrical styles, but for some reason I just love Freida's dress.

Black and Blue Fad?



Queen Latifah, Kate Winslet, Reese Witherspoon, and Marion Cotillard.

For some reason the blue and black combo was very popular last night. It worked really well for some, and not so well for others. Now alot of people are giving Reese hate for her dress, but I don't think it's that bad. I don't particularly like the strappy thing on the bodice, but the skirt is interesting. The deep blue is a great color. Although I would have to say that Kate's dress is probably my favorite. I actually wasn't that into at first, but the more I saw it the more I liked it. I love the lace detail.

And now my least favorite dresses of the night.



Vanessa Hudgens, Miley Cyrus, Jessica Biel, Beyonce Knowles, and Tilda Swinton.

Now there were some questionable fashion choices of the evening (I spared Sophia Loren since she is a living legend), but these were the standouts to me. I suppose Miley and Vanessa are new at this, having previously only graced the red carpet of Disney channel movies and Nickelodeon kid awards, but honestly!!!! I mean Vanessa is not too bad; her worst sin is probably being too boring, but what was Miley thinking?! It's like her and Jessica got together and said hey our dresses are too boring, let's tack on random bits of fabric all over the place to spice it up. Luckily Jessica got out before Miley pulled out the bedazzler or her huge smock thing would probably be covered in rhinestones as well. At least she was smart enough to keep the accessories classic.

Well that's it for now. I'll write about the actual awards later!

P.S. If you want to see the pictures from their original source go to www.ew.com, www.oscar.com,and www.celebrity-gossip.net

No comments:

Post a Comment