Wednesday, June 10, 2009

June

So I feel like there are so many things I could talk about (another reason I need to update more often). So Hurricane Season officially began last week. We haven’t had anything yet, but the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration forecast that there will be 14 named storms this season. They also predict that 1-3 of those hurricanes will be category three or above. However they expect an “average” hurricane season, so hopefully things stay on the less severe side of the forecast. I am sorry if I am boring you with weather talk but for Texas, hurricanes are kind of a big deal. Beach towns like Galveston and Surfside are still recovering from last year’s Hurricane Ike.

Ok so in lighter news the Forbes most powerful celebrity list also came out. Now I know 95% of people do not think about this for more than 5 seconds. However the 5 % who do are Radio DJs trying to fill Morning show air time, and I have a 45 minute commute so I have heard a lot about this list. The main discussion seems to be that Angelina Jolie took the #1 most powerful celebrity spot from Oprah Winfrey. While I may not be super surprised by this, I admit I am a little disappointed. I mean Angelina is an interesting and successful woman, don’t get me wrong. But doesn’t anybody else remember when her claim to fame was being the Girl Interrupted actress that wore a vial of Billy Bob Thornton’s blood around her neck? All of the sudden she marries Brad Pitt, takes a few humanitarian trips, rocks a few red carpet dresses and bam she dethrones Oprah. I mean come on, I know Oprah is not a perfect model for society, and gets entirely too excited about cashmere sweaters sets and kitchen gadgets, but at least she has a book club. Other rankings you might find interesting: Steven Spielberg owned George Lucas. 30 rock costars Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin ranks were almost equal. She is 86th and he is number 91 (I’m keeping my fingers crossed that Jack McBrayer will appear one year). Stephenie Meyer came in at 26, beating most of her tween market competition including Miley Cyrus (29) and the Jonas Brothers (60), as well as any writer competition (Stephen King is #68, and I’m not really sure where JK Rowling went L). Obama came in at 49. I think if I remember correctly he is one of the few, if not the only president to make the list while they are still in office.

Eep that was not supposed to be that long! Sorry!

Currently watching: The Mentalist!! and So You Think You Can Dance

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/53/celebrity-09_The-Celebrity-100_Rank.html
http://www.rigzone.com/news/article.asp?a_id=76833

No comments:

Post a Comment