Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Parc Monceau

I have decided I am in love with the park by my apartment.I have probably already mentioned this a thousand times. When my host mom first told us there was a park within walking distance of our house I expected something similar to the parks near my neighborhood. Something with a playground, a few swings, maybe an area for soccer or some sitting areas. Instead I got the Parc Monceau. I realized this was no ordinary park when I first saw the gate leading into the park area.



The park is always filled with people. On the weekends there are so many people on the paths that you are pretty much always in danger of being run over by a determined jogger. I've already seen two weddings there. When Haidy and I were last there it was Jewish New Years and the local Jewish community was all there celebrating. Of course, there are always familys as well. All the kids bring their bikes and scooters (which seem really popular here, and to think people thought I was dorky when I rode mine...lol).



Two little girls who walked past me as I was doing my homework the other day

It is also just a beautiful place to walk around. There are statues, flowers, and even a pond.I got curious about it's history and found out that this park was one of the projects that Haussmann worked on when he was renovating Paris (Which I actually just learned about in my photography class today, otherwise I would have no idea what that meant). Anyways, I thought I'd share a couple of pictures. I'm hoping this will be a good place for me to do my homework ( and hopefully make it seem less homework-ish, lol).









A few people stretching and doing tai chi or something like that

Currently listening to: The soundtrack of Ensemble C'est Tout

3 comments:

  1. One of the things I love about a place like Europe and which is really basically non-existent in the US is old things... old buildings, parks, statues, trees... Even here in Guadalajara, there are some pretty old buildings and stuff downtown, but when you compare it to some places in Europe their age seems pretty insignificant

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually just talking about this with someone in my group. I love how there are all these little random corners and gardens with fountains or statues all around the city that you cannot find anywhere in the US.

    ReplyDelete