Monday, November 2, 2009

Clinical trial 1A: Results: Bittersweet

Paris to me has been a magical place of meringue, savory fillings, and whipped cream. But what is it that makes a pastry so irresistible? Does everyone hear the siren call of dark chocolate? I realized that this question could not be explained by my usual photography frivolity. This called for something more serious. At first I was intimidated by the magnitude of my task, but if Bill Nye taught me anything it is that everything can be explained with science. So I began designing my experiment. I came up with a plan to capture the average person's reaction to the delectable thing we call dessert.



I would take a Lenotre pastry and strategically place it in a public place for anyone to encounter and secretly watch from the side lines. Would they be horrified at its abandonment? Would they worry about where it came from or would they just take it and stuff it in their mouth without a second thought? There were risks to be sure. But it had to be done. My assistant helped me set the stage. Pretending to be absorbed in a phone call she walked away from a bench leaving behind the pastry in a box.



A few heads turned as they walked past, but no one was bold enough to go up to it. Finally a family sat down on the bench. I was slightly dismayed when the woman pushed the box to the end of the bench and nibbled on an inferior Mars bar instead. But I didn’t let it detour me from my scientific observation. Surely no one could resist the pastry for long or think that it had evil intentions.



Sadly the experiment took a tragic turn when the woman, in an attempt to position herself on the bench for a photo, callously thrust the innocent pastry off the edge. I was in shock. I know I am supposed to be an impartial scientific observer, but this was too much.



After this catastrophic turn of events the experiment was promptly terminated and all other test groups abandoned. The remaining subjects were disposed of through proper channels.





This was my photography assignment for the topic food. I had so much fun doing this little experiment! My roommate Haidy is my partner in crime, or assistant :), in case you are wondering.

Currently: excited that my French seems to be improving (slowly, but surely lol)

5 comments:

  1. Fun experiment!! You are so clever with your photo essay assignments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this one! I want you to know, if I'd happened upon a delicious french pastry, I would know what to do with it - eat it of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, silly French People! They don't realize the amazingness of the pastries they have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!! But- I love it even more because you referenced Bill Nye!! Boy do I miss that guy:)

    And in case you were wondering- if I had sat on that bench and those pasteries were there I would have TOTALLY eaten them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, i wish someone had done those kind of experiment when I was walkign around Paris

    - Alfredo

    ReplyDelete