Saturday, January 9, 2010

Catching up

So I spent the first week of school reading syllabi, buying supplies, and watching movies. Most of these are already out on DVD (my friend has a clearplay so we had fun with that), but I did see one movie that's in the actual theaters right now. Anyway, I thought I'd do some quick movie reviews on a few of my favorites of the week.

District 9- Despite all the cgi and crazy looking creatures, it seemed believable. They did a great job of meshing together the aliens with the real people. I also like how they threw some humor in amongst all the drama and action. My favorite character was the baby alien (Christopher's Son).

Adam- A quirky love story in which one of the couple, Adam, has aspergers. I don't know too much about aspergers, but you don't really need to know anything about the condition to watch the movie. Sometimes their relationship seems to be a little far fetched, but for the most part it stuck together and the whole thing was interesting to watch. Funny moments too. Harlan(Adam's father's friend) is one of the best characters. He can come and give me no nonsense life advice any day.

Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus- There were a thousand things going on in this movie, but I loved it. And that's not just because of the big name actors (although it was fun to see Heath Ledger, Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farell all in the same movie). In fact one of my favorite performances was from Andrew Garfield, who played Anton. It was just fun to try and figure the whole thing out.I mean, Imaginarium was definitely trippy, but it kept you engaged and drawn in the whole time. Plus visually it's just nice to watch.

Where the wild things are- The message of this movie is fairly obvious and simple, but I liked it. It was fun to see everything through the eyes of a child in a non- overly-bubbly-animated way. Oh and Max Records is just adorable.

Currently: Happy to see all my Provo friends
Currently listening to: Far, Regina Spektor and Sainthood, Tegan and Sara

4 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of most of those movies! But I want to see Adam and Imaginarium now!!

    & we should get together sometime! I want to hear all about France! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... ended every sentence with an exclamation point. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! We definetly need a get together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amelia! You have a blog I had no idea about!!! We should be blog friends. Mine is ashleybanta.blogspot.com. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete