Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Healthy Cooking

Lately, I've been trying some healthier recipes out. I have made my oat bran muffins a thousand times (which taste quite good despite having the word bran in the title), so today when I needed a healthy snack I decided to try something new. I went to one of my favorite recipes sites (Allrecipes.com) and found an interesting new thing to try, a vegetarian chickpea sandwich filling. I love anything I can put on a pita, and I really love falafels (the main ingredient for a falafel is also chickpeas) so I decided to give it a shot. It turned out to be really easy to make.


Next time I would probably chop the celery myself to add more texture (the food processor completely pureed it). I also would probably add some tomatoes to the sandwich itself to give it a little extra. Overall I thought it tasted pretty good (especially considering how little time and effort I had to put in). I'm not sure I love it as a sandwich though (not quite enough substance). I think tomorrow I'll toast some pita triangles and use it as a dip on pita chips :)

Here's the recipe:
(Or look at the original web page to see the original recipe as well as other people's versions and tips)
  • 1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • A little less than 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
  • garlic to taste
  • salt and pepper to taste
Basically you throw everything in a food processor and blend.

My next post will be about my infinitely more successful cooking adventure: Braised Balsamic Chicken!

Currently: thinking about my next NON-healthy cooking project, chocolate chip cookie dough cup cakes

1 comment:

  1. Those look delicious Mimi. I want to try them. I'm into healthy foods too maybe we can share recipes.

    ReplyDelete