Monday, March 21, 2011

And in the Morning I'm Making Waffles

Ok so here is that waffle post I've been going on about. But seriously, these waffles are sooo good. Make them. Trust me.

I converted this recipe from a European recipe (find the original here).



Some of the measurements come out kind of weird. We were lucky enough to have a French measuring cup, which saved us some hassle. But I've made sure to convert everything for this recipe!

I loved making these waffles. Emily and I made them together and reminisced over traveling to Bruges (I took a trip their one weekend while I was on my study abroad program in Paris).Plus the waffles themselves were delicious.



Ingredients:




Sift the flour into a bowl: make a well in the middle.

Melt the butter over hot water or in the microwave. Allow to cool to lukewarm.

Beat the eggs well: add the butter and the yeast: mix well. Add the water and mix again.


This is what it looks like when you use the sparkling water.


We had some extra which we decided to drink. I didn't like this kind of water at first, but after I had it in France a few times I really started to like it.



Add to the flour along with the granulated sugar and vanilla or other seasoning (cinnamon works well).

Beat the dough for at least ten minutes. It will probably be sticky and difficult to work with. This is normal.


After this beating, allow to stand and rise in a warm place for 15-30 minutes.


5 to 10 minutes before baking, add the pearl sugar. I didn't have pearl sugar, so I just crushed up sugar cubes into smaller pieces and mixed those in.


Heat the waffle iron. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto each quarter or section of the waffle iron. Bake until well browned.


Serve hot off the iron, dusted with confectioner's sugar, or top with whipped cream or ice cream if desired. Emily made a cookie spread out of Speculoos cookies we had leftover from a creme brulee recipe we did earlier this semester. It tasted delicious.


Many waffles were enjoyed by all :)


We even made a baby waffle when the dough didn't work out evenly. We didn't want to waste a bit!





Currently watching: How I Met Your Mother and 30 Rock
Currently excited: to see Marcus Zusak at the Provo Library this weekend

3 comments:

  1. Yum... that looks so good. Can I import you to cook for me please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I'd be up for that!! I'd much rather cook for you than work on silly schoolwork :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look absolutely amazing. It's 12:30 in the morning and you officially got my stomach growling!

    ReplyDelete