Sunday, March 27, 2011

Markus Zusak

Sometimes life is discouraging. But sometimes you have amazing days that make your week.

Mind you I didn't get half the things I needed to done today. I didn't finish my research paper draft. Or get that book I needed for my reading assignment. Or work as much as I wanted. And my room still looks like it was possibly looted and abandoned. But I had an amazing day.

I got to see Markus Zusak at the Provo City Library. And it was awesome.

He was so nice, humble, grateful, and down to earth. He told a couple great stories, gave advice for writers, and did an amazing reading from a section of the Book Thief (in his Australian accent no less). They also let people from the audience ask questions at the end. I seriously came home and wrote down everything.

I went with my friends Emma, Megan, and Elliot. Megan, Emma, and I entertained each other while we waited in line for the signing. There was much fun involved :)

We waited for a couple hours to see him and have him sign our books, but it was worth it. I got my copy around 11:00 at night and there was still a lot of people waiting. Even though he must have been exhausted he talked to everyone, and didn't just sign his name. He wrote inscriptions and even added little doodles (he said my copy had the dubious distinction of having his worst drawing on it lol). He wouldn't even eat (they tried to bring him pizza and rootbeer).

I can't wait to read more of this books (I've only read Book Thief). If you haven't read Book Thief yet I highly recommend it.

Check out my friend Emma's blog post on the night. She actually wrote a detailed account of our amazing adventure.

Here is a really blurry picture of him (at the time I would have tried to get another picture, but I thought it came out clear, oh well)


Here is a clear picture from Google. It's a bit more real to life :)


Currently listening to: Arcade Fire and Local Natives (it will be concert time before I know it!)
Currently watching: HIMYM and 30 Rock
Currently drinking: Pomegranate Blueberry Sparkling Lemonade (Thank You, Sunflower Market)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again for the ticket!!!!

    p.s. Your cinnamon roll post made my mouth water...yum.

    ReplyDelete